In this episode, you’ll learn the basics of a boundary-setting process I created called the 5-Step Boundary Solution. The 5-Step Boundary Solution (5-SBS) is a step-by-step formula that walks you through the process of identifying, creating, and maintaining healthy and effective boundaries. Although the 5-SBS process can be useful for boundaries of all kinds, it was created and is intended for use in adult-adult relationships.
Biggest Takeaways From Episode #9:
- The five steps of the 5-SBS are:
- Knowing and Owning Your Reality
- Identifying Your Needs & Creating Your vision
- Identifying your Power Center
- Creating and Implementing Your Action Plan
- Evaluating Your Results
- To know and own your reality, you need to identify three key things: the data (what you could record with a video camera), what you perceive or think about the data, and your emotions.
- There are four options in identifying your power center. First, you have the power to change the situation. Second, you can ask for help. Third, you can make a request of another person. Finally, you may be powerless.
- If you reach step five and find that the process hasn’t worked because the person broke the agreement or didn’t follow through, you have a new situation and can begin again at step one and work through the process again.
- Get a fillable PDF download of the 5-Step Boundary Solution Clarifier to walk you through the 5-SBS process here.
Highlights from Episode #9:
- Vicki offers some background on how and why she created the 5-Step Boundary Solution process. [01:26]
- Concrete example to help clarify the upcoming steps. [06:29]
- The first step of the 5-SBS is Knowing and Owning Your Reality. Vicki digs into this topic using the example she outlined earlier. [08:08]
- The second step of the 5-SBS is about getting your needs met and creating a vision for what the outcome you want. In Vicki’s example, these needs might be a sense of safety, comfort, or even connection. [18:15]
- The third (and particularly important) step is Identifying Your Power Center. [24:25]
- The fourth step is Creating and Implementing Your Action Plan. Vicki outlines how this might work in the example she has been using throughout the episode. [27:08]
- The fifth and final step is Evaluating Your Results, or what happened as a result of what you did. [31:57]
- Vicki reads a passage from her book, Moving Beyond Betrayal, to elaborate on the fifth step of the 5-SBS. [37:10]
Links and Resources: